There’s nothing like a rich and delicious dessert that you also know is good for you! Since avocado is filled with healthy fats, it’s the perfect sneaky substitute for butter in these fudgy brownies.
If you are skeptical about making brownies with avocado, don’t be. I promise, you won’t even be able to tell it’s in there! These dark chocolate brownies are super-moist, ultra-rich, and totally kid-approved.
The Best Grain-Free Brownies
These paleo-friendly, gluten-free brownies use a combination of almond and arrowroot flours instead of wheat. They also contain tons of antioxidants and healthy fats from pure cacao and fresh avocados. Combined with a little raw honey, you get just the right touch of sweetness and a soft, delicious brownie bursting with dark chocolate flavor.
Best of all, these brownies are quick to mix up and so simple the kids can make them. All it takes is 20 minutes in the oven, and you’re done! It’s the perfect recipe for when you’re in a hurry, but want to spoil your family (or company) with something fabulous.
I guarantee that once you try these gooey avocado brownies, you’ll never think about box mixes again.
How to Make Avocado Brownies
This recipe uses both raw cacao powder (that’s right, cacao — not cocoa) and melted chocolate. Cacao powder comes from the same plant as cocoa powder and can be used similarly in baking. The difference is that raw cacao powder is not heated to the temperatures that cocoa powder is in processing so it is much higher in antioxidants than traditional cocoa powder. This is a great article that goes into more depth on the topic.
Important note: Take the brownies out of the oven when they are just very slightly underdone. This is probably the single most important rule for making fudgy brownies. I bake mine in a 9×9-inch pan for 20 minutes, but an 8×8-inch pan will work too (just bake them for about five more minutes). Do not bake them any longer to prevent them from drying out.
Want more brownie recipes? Check out with this post for a whole list of ways to create delicious grain-free brownies with real food ingredients.
Paleo Avocado Brownies Recipe
Yield 9 brownies
Get a boost of nutrition from these rich and fudgy avocado brownies, made from gluten-free flours, raw honey, and antioxidant-rich cacao powder.
- Preheat the oven to 380°F.
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mash the avocados.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and beat with a mixer at medium speed until light yellow and fluffy.
- Add the mashed avocado and continue to mix for 2 more minutes, until well combined.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water, or you will burn the chocolate.
- Add the coconut oil and stir until the chocolate and coconut oil are melted.
- Remove the chocolate/coconut oil mixture from the heat and stir in the honey.
- In a large bowl, sift together the almond and arrowroot flours.
- Add the raw cacao powder and stir to combine.
- Stir in the egg/avocado mixture and melted chocolate mixture until well combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- When cool, decorate with edible flowers and a sprinkle of cacao powder if desired.
- Cut into 9 squares and serve.
This recipe uses both melted chocolate and raw cacao powder to deepen the flavor of the brownies. Don’t skip either ingredient!
If using an 8x8 pan, bake an additional 5 minutes.
Serving Size 1 brownie
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 25.7 g
Saturated Fat 14.1 g
Cholesterol 73 mg
Sodium 38 mg
Total Carbohydrates 33.1 g
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
Sugars 22.5 g
Protein 5.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.