This is one of those foods that I was very hesitant to try when I was younger, and I absolutely love it now! If you haven’t had gravlax before, the basic idea is that you are curing raw, wild caught salmon in salt, sugar, and spices. It. Is. Delicious.
I tried a lot of recipes to figure out how to make this (because it is $7 per 4 ounces to buy!!) and finally found one that works well. Gravlax has become my new favorite food! The recipe below is a slight adjustment from the other ones I tried, and I think it’s an improvement.
If you haven’t tried gravlax before, I highly recommend making this recipe. It is absolutely wonderful by itself, or on cucumber slices, or with cream cheese, or many other ways!
Gravlax Salmon Recipe
- Cut the salmon filet in half into two equal size pieces.
- Sprinkle the sugar and salt evenly over the flesh side of both filet pieces making sure you coat well.
- Sprinkle half of the dill evenly on ONE piece of the salmon.
- Place the lime slices on top of the dill on that piece.
- Sprinkle the other half of the dill on top of the limes, making sure they are covered.
- Carefully, place the second piece of salmon on top of the first one.
- Wrap very tightly in plastic wrap and place carefully in a Ziploc bag
- Put the bag in a baking dish or plate with high sides and place in the refrigerator.
- Flip over every 12 hours or so.
- Wait 2 days (and no more than 3!!).
- To serve scrape off the excess dill and limes and slice thinly with a sharp filet knife to remove from the skin.
Every made gravlax? Ever eaten raw cured fish? Tell me below!