Smoothies can be a great and fast meal on the go. If made correctly, they can be a source of nutrients, protein, healthy fats, and probiotics. Without these healthy ingredients, many smoothies contain as much sugar as juice or soda. If protein powder is used, many contain processed whey or artificial sweeteners.
As with any food or drink, the most healthy recipe is usually one made at home and smoothies are no exception. My kids love smoothies and I’ve created a system for making homemade smoothies with real food ingredients. Our smoothies rarely have the same flavor twice since we pick new ingredients each time.
For these whey-free smoothie recipes, we select a liquid as the base, add some frozen fruit and/or veggies and add healthy proteins and fats:
- Homemade coconut milk
- Water kefir
- Homemade almond milk
- Chilled coffee with coconut oil (I freeze any leftover coffee with this recipe)
- Herbal teas (recipes for ten of my favorites)
- Cocount water
- Raw milk
Fruit and Veggies
- Mango (fresh or frozen)
- Pineapple (fresh or frozen)
- Strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- Banana (fresh or frozen)
- Cucumber (fresh)
- Spinach (fresh
- Watermelon (fresh)
- other melon (fresh)
- Gelatin powder (our favorite- we use this collagen hydrolysate form in smoothies since it doesn’t gel and is water soluble.) Here are some other ways we use gelatin.
- Egg yolks
- Iced Coffee: Bulletproof coffee, frozen coffee ice cubes, coconut milk, vanilla, 2 egg yolks, MCT oil, gelatin, and coconut oil
- Sweet and Sour: Kombucha, pineapple, cucumber, banana, 2 egg yolks, MCT oil or coconut oil, gelatin, honey, and vitamin C powder
- The Tropics: Coconut water, pineapple, mango, banana, gelatin, coconut oil, stevia
- Green Giant: Coconut milk, banana, cucumber, spinach, pineapple, MCT oil, gelatin, Athletic Greens, stevia
Whey-Free Smoothie Recipes
A basic recipe for whey-free smoothies with your preference of fruits and add ins.
- 1 cup liquid of choice
- ½ cup fresh or frozen fruit of choice and ice if needed
- 1 tsp gelatin powder
- 1 tsp healthy fat of choice
- any desired add-ins or vitamins
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
The combinations are endless!
What is your favorite smoothie combination or strangest one you’ve ever tried? Share below!