Two of my favorite foods in the world are bacon and chocolate…
They are also two foods that I typically eat at completely different times of day and have never thought of combining them until a reader mentioned eating it at a cooking school.
When a night with friends gave me a chance to try a new recipe, I thought… “bacon..hmm… chocolate..hmmm”
So we tried it…
And it was surprisingly REALLY good!
At first, our taste buds were confused. Was it sweet? Salty? Then came the second bite, and we were sold. Between the four of us, we ate an entire package of bacon… covered in chocolate!
From now on, forget healthy versions of pie or cake for birthdays… it will be chocolate covered bacon around here! This is certainly not an every-day recipe, but it makes an excellent and unusual treat for special occasions.
Chocolate Covered...Bacon? Recipe
- Cook the bacon on a baking sheet in a 400°F oven until barely crispy.
- Remove and cool.
- While cooling, melt chocolate and coconut oil or bacon grease in double boiler, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Cut bacon into bite size pieces and dump into chocolate.
- Stir until well coated.
- Remove pieces and place on wax paper or clean plate.
- Put in fridge (or freezer if impatient) until the chocolate hardens.
- Confuse your taste buds!
Ever had chocolate covered bacon? If not, what unusual foods have you mixed that turned out great? Tell me below!