I discovered this grain-free apple cinnamon muffin recipe out of desperation, really. (Isn’t it so true that necessity is the mother of invention?)
On this particular morning I realized I only had five eggs in the fridge — not even close to enough to feed us all, especially when each kid could easily eat three each! I had coconut flour, homemade applesauce, and coconut oil on hand, so I mixed them and … voilà!
The kids requested them every day at breakfast for a week straight, and a great go-to (and also “to-go”) breakfast recipe was born!
Apple Cinnamon Muffins: A Break from the Norm
I’ll be real here … I haven’t always been a great baker, which I guess makes sense considering we don’t often eat grains. Still, being grain free can mean a lot of scrambled eggs for breakfast, and we all have those days when only baked goods will do.
It always feels great to get it right and hit on a recipe that makes both mom and kids happy.
If you haven’t had coconut flour muffins before, know that they turn out a little smaller and denser than your typical muffin. Still, they have that bready texture and aroma, plus protein and fiber that really satisfy. Not to mention all the great health benefits of coconut since these muffins use both coconut flour and coconut oil.
These apple cinnamon muffins stay in regular rotation at our house and even kick off the breakfast section in my Wellness Mama Cookbook. As with almost all of the recipes in my cookbook, this breakfast (or anytime) muffin recipe takes 30 minutes or less to make, uses real food ingredients, and doesn’t generate a lot of dirty dishes to wash up afterward.
If you have to be careful and rotate recipes for allergy reasons, or if you’re just looking to get more variety at breakfast, check out the Wellness Mama Real Plans meal planning tool for more help.
Apple Cinnamon … or Whatever Flavor You Desire!
I chose this applesauce and cinnamon combo out of convenience, but these muffins are incredibly versatile. I even discovered with a few simple modifications I could turn this recipe into these coconut flour apple cinnamon pancakes!
Using either the muffin or pancake recipe as a base, try these mix-ins to change things up from time to time:
- Reduce the applesauce by ¼ cup and add an overripe banana before blending
- Stir in ½ cup toasted chopped nuts, such as walnuts, by hand
- Mix in ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries or raspberries
- Add ½ cup chopped apples for a little extra texture
- Add 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder to make almost cupcake-like muffins
- Top with shredded coconut before baking for extra crunch
Coconut Flour Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Hearty breakfast muffins that can be personalized to your specific tastes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil or use silicone muffin cups like these.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl with an immersion blender or whisk until well mixed. I prefer the immersion blender so the coconut oil mixes evenly even if cold/hard.
- Let sit 5 minutes. This helps the coconut flour absorb moisture and creates a better texture in the finished muffins.
- Use 1/3 cup measure to scoop into muffin tins.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until starting to brown and not soft when lightly touched on the top.
- Let cool 2 minutes, drizzle with honey (if desired) and serve.
If you frequently need breakfast to-g0, try making a large batch of these and freezing them.
Serving Size 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7.4 g
Saturated Fat 5.2 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 130 mg
Total Carbohydrates 12.9 g
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 3.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Missing baked goods? Try these other favorite grain free breakfast recipes:
- Almond flour pancakes – Easy to whip up for a crowd and only takes 3 or 4 ingredients!
- Grain-free flatbread with spinach and egg – Missing toast? Try this!
- Grain-free pumpkin pancakes – This budget recipe skips alternative flour using egg and pumpkin as the binder.
- Coconut flour biscuits – Indulge in sausage gravy and biscuits again, or top with eggs and hollandaise sauce for grain free eggs Benedict!
Have you ever tried making grain free muffins? What other variations can you think of? Please share below!