Long eyelashes are a classic feminine trait and many women have gone to great lengths (pun intended) for longer eyelashes. Unfortunately, many treatments like eyelash extensions and growth serums can cause allergic reactions, infection or other problems.
Naturally Longer Lashes
Of course, there is a genetic aspect to long eyelashes, but that doesn’t mean that those without the lucky genes can’t increase their eyelash length.
I have a cousin who naturally has super-long dark eyelashes that look like extensions. My eyelashes are decently long but definitely not that dramatic, so I have been experimenting with natural ways to increase my eyelash length and thickness.
There does seem to be a connection between nutrition and hair health, so if a person isn’t getting enough fat soluble vitamins, b-vitamins, vitamin C and collagen, eyelashes (and hair) can suffer.
Overuse of eye products, especially long-lasting mascaras or fake lashes can weaken lashes or lead to lash loss.
Natural Eyelash Extensions?
After publishing my homemade mascara, many people asked if there was a natural way to make fiber lash mascara or eyelash extensions. I’m yet to find a natural version of false eyelashes since most glues contain formaldehyde. Most fiber lash products also contain questionable ingredients.
What I did find, however, was a natural way to make lashes look as long as fake lashes using only natural ingredients.
These natural “eyelash extensions” use:
- Castor oil– Natural source of Omega-6 fats, proteins and vitamins that helps encourage dramatic hair growth
- Emu oil– “highly anti-inflammatory, moisturizing, anti-wrinkle, penetrating, a transdermal carrier, promotes skin regeneration, non-comedogenic (does not clog pores), nourishing, anti-aging and bacteriastatic.” (source)
- Coconut oil–
- Vitamin E oil (optional)
Castor oil alone would give noticeable results, as it has been extremely helpful for lengthening and thickening my hair, but the addition of emu oil, coconut oil and vitamin E give this serum a wider range of fatty acids and nutrients to help speed eyelash growth.
TIP: Christa of The Whole Journey recommends adding 1 drop of lavender essential oil to mascara to speed eyelash growth. I haven’t tried this yet, but it could be added to this serum for additional benefit (just always use caution and do your own research when using essential oils!)
Eyelash Growth Serum Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon castor oil
- 1 teaspoon emu oil (optional, can use extra castor oil instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 capsules Vitamin E oil (optional)
Eyelash Growth Serum Instructions
- Mix all ingredients and store in a small dropper bottle.
- To use, squeeze one drop on to your finger or a cotton swab and gently massage into lash line. I prefer to do this at night to let it work overnight before washing my face in the morning.
- Use daily for best results.
TIP: This can also be used on eyebrows to help with thinning eyebrows.
This will last up to a year as long as it is kept in an air tight container and not contaminated with a liquid since it contains to water, aloe or other liquid ingredients that will spoil.
How do you take care of your lashes?