We first tried this “recipe” the week we finally got our first snow day that actually involved snow. For two days, my kids (and all the kids in the neighborhood) were outside 8-10 hours a day sledding, building snowmen, and making snow angels.
One of the children suggested making snow cream and once the idea had been spoken out loud, all of the kids begged to be able to make this treat.
I figured there was a way to make snow cream delicious but without corn syrup or processed ingredients… and a new family recipe was born!
Dairy-Free Snow Cream Recipe (No Evaporated Milk)
I remembered snow cream from when I was a kid and that the recipe involved:
- snow (of course)
- milk, heavy cream, or *cringe* sweetened condensed milk
- lots of sugar
I wanted my kids to be able to try snow cream, especially since the opportunity only presents itself every few years where we lived at the time, but I wasn’t stooping to sweetened condensed milk. I also didn’t have any dairy in the house and I wasn’t personally going to venture out on snowy roads to get any. (I’m from the South… snow-driving isn’t covered in driver’s ed!)
We ended up figuring out a dairy-free/dairy-optional version that the kids enjoyed (and really, how hard could it be to figure out… it only has four ingredients!).
But… Is It Safe to Eat Snow?
Still, let me say the obvious: This snow cream recipe is only “healthy” if you use fresh, pure white snow! Avoid snow that’s been sitting around or is anything that is less than pure white 🙂
If you’re ready for more snow recipes, try making snow-day maple candy next!
Snow Cream Recipe
- Collect a large amount of fresh snow in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, combine some of the snow, vanilla, and any desired sweetener.
- Add just enough coconut milk or milk to create a smooth consistency.
- Mix well with a spoon until evenly mixed.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Other Snow Day Recipes:
- Healthy Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Healthy Marshmallow Recipe
- Gingerbread Cookies Recipe with Dates & Molasses
- How to Make a Peppermint Mocha (for mom!)
- The Best Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe (+ Variations)
Ever made snow cream? Got a variation of this recipe? Share below!