If you’ve followed my homemade cleaning and beauty recipes over the years, you know the important role aromatherapy and essential oils play around my home. (I might even be a little obsessed!)
At the same time, you know that I’m careful to use essential oils safely and that I’m not afraid to speak out against the dangerous uses I often see. That’s why I’m excited that Retha Nesmith, certified aromatherapist, made time to sit down with me and discuss this favorite topic.
Whether you’ve just dabbled in essential oils or have the most impressive collection known to man, this podcast has something for you!
A Fresh Approach to Aromatherapy Education
There is so much misinformation about safe essential oil use and I know several people who have actually been harmed by inappropriate use. I’ve found a few great sources of safe essential oils and am happy to see the rising awareness about safe essential oil use. Plant Therapy is one of the essential oil companies I’ve come to know and love especially for their strong commitment to educating the public on how to use essential oils safely.
If you check out the Plant Therapy blog you’ll see a refreshing difference in their approach. In an industry often full of hype and misinformation, the Plant Therapy experts lay out the facts in a balanced way.
The Power of EOs and Aromatherapy
Retha shared with me how her mom (also a trained aromatherapist) used essential oils in their home growing up. Now Retha carries on the tradition of using these natural remedies with her own three children. But just because she’s been around essential oils for a long time doesn’t mean she uses them without caution.
Retha echoes a lot of the concerns I have had about the real dangers of using essential oils improperly. Their amazing power to heal can become power to harm unless we educate ourselves.
She does an amazing job making the information simple while answering some questions I still hadn’t quite resolved even with all my research on essential oils and aromatherapy over the years.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn
- All about the benefits of aromatherapy (it really does more than just smell nice!)
- What makes an oil “essential” and how EOs differ from other household oils
- Common mistakes people make when using essential oils and how to avoid them
- Why the term “natural” or “pure” doesn’t always mean “safe”
- What it means when EO companies make quality claims … and how to back them up as a consumer
- How to quickly and easily find the proper dilution and diffusion ratios for oils
- A reasonable approach to the controversial question of whether to take EOs internally
- How to cut through the hype and choose the right essential oils for your family’s specific needs
Resources We Mention
- Plant Therapy Essential Oils (Available on Amazon or from Plant Therapy here)
- Plant Therapy Aroma Plush Lil’ Stinkers (Available on Amazon here or from Plant Therapy here)
- Kid Safe Essential Oil Line
- Plant Therapy Essential Oil Gift Set Discounts
Essential Oil Charts and Further Reading
- KidSafe Chart and Full KidSafe Essential Oils List
- Pregnancy Safe Chart
- Dilution Chart and How to Read the Dilution Chart
- Retha Nesmith, “Can Essential Oils Be Ingested” (2014)
- Robert Tisserand and Robert Young, Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Healthcare Professionals, 2013
Special Thanks to Today’s Podcast Sponsors
This podcast episode is brought to you by Perfect Supplements. If you have trouble getting your family to eat nutrient-dense foods like liver or kale, Perfect Supplements is a solution that makes it easy. They take superfoods and concentrate them in capsule form so you can get all of the benefits without cooking something no one will eat.
Perfect Supplements is USA made, incredibly reasonably priced, and super selective in purity and sourcing. Our family uses their desiccated liver capsules (from 100% grass fed cattle). This is the same product that has been recommended by Tim Ferriss and Dave Asprey, and now that I’ve tried it I can see why. We also use Perfect Supplements collagen, greens powder, and fermented kale.
You can get 10% off of any order by going to perfectsupplements.com/wellnessmama and using the coupon code WELLNESSMAMA10. The best part is they always offer bulk discounts too!
This episode is also sponsored by The Wellness Mama Cookbook. My kids helped me test these recipes so they are definitely family-approved. They’re also mom-approved and here’s why.
I know what it is to be a busy mom without a lot of extra time. I made sure the majority of the Wellness Mama Cookbook recipes can be made in under 30 minutes and many of them only one pan (who wants to wash dishes?). The cookbook has over 200 grain-free recipes without refined sugar or flour. I found ways to replace those ingredients by sneaking in nutrient-dense vegetables kids love!
You can check out the cookbook at any major bookstore, on Amazon. I’m delighted to share my family’s favorite recipes with all of you!