Today’s episode is going to answer a lot of questions I get from you all on the topic of food allergies. It feels like every family is struggling with this in some way today, and a lot of parents are asking: what in the world is going on?
Dr. Katie Marks-Cogan is both a mom and a board-certified MD who specializes in allergy, immunology, and internal medicine. She is also the chief allergist and a member of the scientific advisory board for Ready, Set, Food!, a cutting-edge new product designed to help parents reverse the trend.
Episode Highlights With Ready, Set, Food!
- Reasons why more and more kids (and adults) are struggling with reactions to food
- Why some food allergies become life-threatening
- The differences between a food allergy and a food intolerance
- Why doctors are now reversing their recommendation to delay introduction of dairy, eggs, and even peanuts
- How to prevent food allergies from ever forming (hint: start early!)
- A common vitamin deficiency that could be making the problem worse
- What you can add to your baby’s first food or bottle to decrease their risk
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 31: How to Know If You Have Gluten Sensitivity
- 125: Understanding Food Intolerance & Fighting for Your Family with JJ Virgin
- 155: Thriving With Food Allergies or Intolerance & Crushing Life With the Paleo Chef
- The GAPS Diet: Help for Food Allergies and Gut Issues?
- Do You Have a Stinking Gut? (And Why You Should Want One)
- Guide to Healthy Baby Food
- Best Baby Probiotics for Infants
- Natural & Organic Baby Formula Options
- Gluten Is Not a Food Group
Do you or someone in your family struggle with food allergies? There’s so many questions still unanswered for parents… please send them on to me and we will try to tackle them! You can drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let me know!
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Joovv, my go-to for red light therapy, also called photobiomodulation. So what the heck is that and why do I like it so much? In short, it is a way to support the body using specific wavelengths of light. Studies show that this can improve mitochondrial function, increase ATP (cellular energy) and create all of the benefits that go with that. It’s used around the world for its anti-aging and skin benefits, as well as to calm inflammation. I’ve noticed the benefits personally for hair growth, skin health, and as part of my regimen to keep my thyroid healthy. I have a big Joovv light at home and use it religiously, but I miss it when I travel, which I do a lot these days. That’s why I’m so excited about their new handheld device. It’s called the Joovv Go and it gives you all the same Joovv power, but in the palm of your hand, so you can take it anywhere. This means I can make sure my thyroid and face still get red light therapy even when I’m traveling so I can function at my best and keep wrinkles away. Tip: I also like to use a dab of castor oil on my eyelashes and hairline just before using the Joovv as it is also great for hair growth and the Joovv seems to intensify the results. You can learn more and get a free gift with any purchase at joovv.com/wellnessmama with the code WELLNESSMAMA.
This episode is brought to you by Organifi and I’m so excited to tell you about them! Here’s a confession… I’ve known about them for a long time and even though so many of my friends and experts I trust rave about them, I never tried their stuff until recently because I thought… how can it actually be that good? Well, I tried it and it turns out that it is not only that good, it’s even better! Organifi has green juice, red juice (which is an antioxidant red drink that is delicious) and a golden milk turmeric drink, along with a plant-based protein shake. They are all organic and they actually taste good, unlike a lot of other green drinks and protein powders. I’ve especially been loving their red juice lately… it tastes amazing and has a blend of antioxidants from strawberries, cranberries, blueberries, and pomegranates along with beets, cordyceps, reishi, rhodiola, and more. This particular blend is formulated to increase energy, boost metabolism and reduce factors that lead to aging. Their green juice is minty and delicious and has almost 800 5-star reviews… You can check it out, along with their whole suite of products and save 20% by going to https://organifi.com/wellnessmama with coupon code WELLNESS20.