Heart disease is an increasingly important issue for women. I’ve heard stats that it actually kills more women than breast cancer, but it’s not talked half as much. So I’m so glad to have Dr. Mark Menolascino here to give us a deep dive on this topic and explain what we can all be doing to safeguard our heart health.
Dr. Mark is one of very few physicians who is board-certified in internal medicine, integrative and holistic medicine, functional medicine, and advanced hormone management and anti-aging medicine. So to say he’s qualified would be a huge understatement. He additionally has a master’s degree in pharmacology and immunology and was a doctoral candidate in the medical science program assisting with clinical trials of new medications, and as well as part of the heart disease reversal team with the famed Dr. Dean Ornish.
Let’s hear what he has to say…
Episode Highlights With Dr. Menolascino
- Why 2 out of 3 women have heart disease
- The reason that the first sign of heart disease for half of women is death
- Why half of heart attacks happen with normal cholesterol
- What to look for to know if you have fatty liver
- The science-backed ways to support your heart
- Why insulin is the most inflammatory compound the body makes
- Good and bad foods for the heart (some may surprise you)
- A few ways to know by looking at your body if you’re at a higher risk of heart disease
- What your fingernails tell you about your health
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Find Dr. Mark at MenoClinic.com
- Books by Mark Hyman
- Books by Izabella Wentz
- Dirty Genes by Ben Lynch
- You Can Fix Your Brain by Tom O’Bryan
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
More From Wellness Mama
- 486: Sara Gustafson on the Four Feminine Archetypes and Finding Purpose
- 465: Sara Gustafson on Physiological, Limbic, Somatic, Biochemical & Psychological Differentiation Levels
- 255: Dr. Valter Longo on a Fasting Mimicking Diet and Increasing Healthspan
- 116: How to Reboot Your Metabolism Using the Keto Reset Diet With Mark Sisson
- 93: How to Avoid the Most Common Fitness Mistakes Women Make
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have about your heart health? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Fabletics, my one-stop shop for affordable athletic wear. They have yoga, running, gym gear, sports bras, shoes, accessories, and more. Right now, you can get 2 pairs of leggings for $24, which is half the price of just a sports bra from some other brands! I’ve never understood the crazy prices on some athletic gear, especially since the goal is to get those clothes sweaty anyway! That’s why I love Fabletics. They have really cute styles that rival even the highest priced brands at great prices. I especially love their power hold leggings and sports bras with crisscross fancy backs. You can check out all of their sales and claim your two leggings for $24 when you sign up to be a VIP at fabletics.com/wellnessmama. Insider tip: take their 60-second quiz to see which styles will fit your body the best and sign up for their free newsletter to get access to all of their sales and deals. They have a workout guarantee too… Sweat it out for 45 days and if it doesn’t perform, return it for a full refund!
This episode is brought to you by Four Sigmatic, creator of all things superfood mushrooms and founded by my favorite Finnish Fun guys. I love all of their products, and in fact, I’m sipping their reishi hot cocoa as I record this. These superfood mushrooms are always a part of my daily routine with their coffee + lions mane or coffee + cordyceps in the morning for energy and focus (without as much caffeine as coffee). I also love their chaga and cordyceps in the afternoon for antioxidants and immunity and the reishi elixir at night for improved sleep. They also just released skin care that so clean you could eat it! Their charcoal mask has activated charcoal to clarify, chaga and cacao for an antioxidant boost, and other herbal and superfood ingredients. Their superfood serum contains a blend of avocado and olive oils with reishi and herbs for a hydrating skin boost. As a listener of this podcast, you can save 15% with the code WELLNESSMAMA at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama.