Thanks so much to Dave Asprey, world-famous biohacker and founder of Bulletproof, for returning to the podcast. He’s been called the father of biohacking and I think he deserves the title! Dave has spent about $2 billion taking control of his own biology and finding new and innovative ways to reach the peak of health.
Today we flip that reality on its head a bit by talking about one inexpensive (although not always easy!) way to improve health… we’re talking fasting! It’s the topic of Dave’s latest book, Fast This Way: How to Lose Weight, Get Smarter, and Live Your Longest, Healthiest Life with the Bulletproof Guide to Fasting.
We go through the myths related to fasting, the benefits of fasting both from a mental and physical perspective, different types of fasts that you can do, and how to make sure that you aren’t hurting your body when you are fasting.
I think you are going to love this super in-depth episode!
Episode Highlights With Dave Asprey
- The actual definition of fasting (and why it is much less dogmatic than some sources say)
- How to know which type of fasting works for you
- The importance of starting with a breakfast with protein if you are new to fasting
- How toxins lead to cravings and how to combat this
- The benefits and downsides of longer and shorter fasts
- Why Dave thinks coffee is beneficial for fasting (yay!)
- A few fasting hacks that make it more effective
- How women should fast differently
- The three types of exogenous ketones and what to know about them
- How to get past the feeling of being cold while fasting (and increase ATP)
- Ways to recognize and avoid over-fasting
- Dave’s favorite supplements during fasting (and four supplements to avoid)
- What it means to be metabolically fit and how to measure it
- How to use metrics like HRV to know if you should fast or not
- What dry fasting is and if you should try it or not
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Book: Fast This Way: How to Lose Weight, Get Smarter, and Live Your Longest, Healthiest Life with the Bulletproof Guide to Fasting – order from Amazon OR get the pre-order bonus (a free bonus book and bottle enzymes!) by ordering here
- Keto Mojo
- Activated charcoal
- Vitamin D
- Books by Robert Green: 48 Laws of Power and The Laws of Consciousness
More From Wellness Mama
- 345: How to Use Circadian Fasting to Improve Health & Slow Aging With Dr. Amy Shah
- 255: Dr. Valter Longo on a Fasting Mimicking Diet and Increasing Healthspan
- 134: Five Benefits of Fasting, Autophagy, Diet Variation & Cellular Healing with Dr. Daniel Pompa
- 26: Fasting for Women & Music Therapy
- How to Use the Fasting Mimicking Diet to Get the Benefits of Fasting (Without Skipping Food!)
- Can Intermittent Fasting (Skipping Meals) Make You Healthier?
- Water Fasting Benefits, Dangers & My Personal Experience
- What I Learned From Wearing a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) for a Month
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Flying Embers, a better-for-you alcohol brand that brews Hard Kombucha with probiotic-powered Hard Seltzer. All of their products are zero sugar, zero carbs, USDA certified organic, and brewed with live probiotics and adaptogens. They’re also all keto, gluten-free, vegan, and low in calories, so they’re a great option for a functional low-calorie drink that is delicious. I love their flavors. They have some really unique ones, like Grapefruit Thyme and Guava Jalapeno, and I’m a big fan of their Clementine Hibiscus. All of their products are artfully crafted with a dry fermentation process, which gives the Hard Kombucha a perfectly balanced natural sweetness that tastes amazing despite having zero sugar and carbs. We’ve worked out an exclusive deal just for you. Receive 15% off your whole order. To claim this deal, go to flyingembers.com/wellnessmama and use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout and the discount is only available on their website. And they’re also available nationwide at grocery stores, anywhere you find beer and hard seltzers, but check out where to find them and get the discount, flyingembers.com/wellnessmama.
This podcast is sponsored by Paleovalley. They make amazing grass fed beef sticks are the only beef sticks in the USA made from 100% grass fed/grass finished beef and organic spices that are naturally fermented. They use old world methods of fermenting their sticks so they are shelf stable without the use of chemicals or questionable ingredients. Virtually all other similar snack stick products use GMO corn-based citric acid encapsulated in hydrogenated oils to process their products. Thanks to this fermentation process, each stick contains gut-friendly probiotics! My kids love them and I can never keep them in the house, so now we are just on a regular auto order. Go to paleovalley.com/mama for 15% off