Albert Einstein once said, “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.” Sarah Morgan took this message seriously and set out to share all she’d learned when getting her Masters in Nutrition, in a way anyone ages 4 through 104 would understand.
To accomplish this, Sarah founded Buddies In My Belly, a health education company that takes health seriously, but in a way that is seriously fun for everyone. This is something every mom could use because we get some of the toughest questions on the planet (why is the sky blue? how are babies made?), sometimes all before 8:00 a.m.!
Buddies in My Belly has a ton of great resources for helping kids understand why what they eat and how they take care of themselves matters, and isn’t just “because mom says so.”
Buddies in My Belly: Episode Highlights
- The troubling health statistics our children’s generation faces
- The Ah-ha! moment that gave Sarah the idea to write a children’s book about gut health
- What we as parents can do to give our kids the best start
- The roles different bacterial strains in our digestive system play (and how to explain it to kids)
- The awesome tool Sarah created to help kids take responsibility for their food choices
- Ways to get more variety in your kids’ diets
- A sample of Buddies in My Belly
- How Sarah teaches kids about healthy living, including food, sleep, movement, drinking water, and more
- Ideas for getting kids excited about trying new foods
- How taking care of the gut microbiome helps stop poop problems!
- And more!
“We want to help everybody in the household starting with our little ones understand this concept of the microbiome. Because if they implement this, and they get it, and they feel empowered, they get to make choices themselves. That sets them up for a lifetime of good health.”
Resources We Mention
- Kids’ book: Buddies in My Belly: A Story About Probiotics
- Buddies Snack Sheet (great ideas!)
- The Buddies Food Plate
More From Wellness Mama
- 51: Understanding the Microbiome
- 96: Using Natural and Traditional Medicine to Fix the Gut Microbiome with Dr. Ken Brown
- 92: A Holistic Pediatrician Talks Ear Infections, Fevers, & Vaccines
- Healthy Finger Foods for Toddlers (Even Picky Ones)
- Favorite TED Talks for Moms, Kids & Family
- How to Get Kids to Eat Healthy Food
- Food Rules to Cure Picky Eating
- How to Improve the Vestibular System with Sensory Swings & Activities
- Healthy Breakfast Ideas Kids Love
- Why I Don’t Reduce A Fever (And What I Do Instead)
- How to Test Your Gut Microbiome (At Home Without a Doctor)
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have about gut health? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by SteadyMD. This company combines the cutting edge of medical knowledge with the personal touch of concierge medicine. It is like having the best doctors in the country as your personal old-school come to your house doctor. Here’s what I mean- you are connected with a value aligned doctor who learns your medical history and your family’s medical history. You can connect any time you need via phone, text or video chat to ask questions and they can help with most issues and prescribe most things long distance. With technology, this is my favorite way to interact with a doctor now. We can order everything else from our phones and get everything delivered to our houses and now we can interact with our doctors in the same way. With a digital otoscope, I’ve even been able to literally send my doctor an instant video of my kids eardrum to see if she had an ear infection before. My doc understands that while I do think conventional medicine is life saving and important, I prefer to use natural remedies when possible and avoid antibiotics unless really necessary. I can trust that he is never pushing a treatment that isn’t absolutely necessary. In fact, he’s given me natural remedy advice most of the time over suggesting medicine and shares my stance on not overusing antibiotics and pain medicine to reduce fever. Learn more at steadyMD.com/wellnessmama.
This podcast is brought to you by Ready, Set, Food!, a new company revolutionizing food allergy prevention in children. We all know that this problem is on the rise, and most of us know someone who has a child with food allergies, or have had this experience ourselves. There are many theories for this and certainly many problems that need to be addressed like gut health and immune support. Ready, Set, Food! is taking the cutting edge research and science and using it in a practical way to help babies and children avoid food allergies in the first place. The most up to date studies are showing that carefully calculated early exposure in the right amounts can stop many cases of food allergies. Ready, Set, Food! makes this easy with a simple system that can be added to breastmilk, formula, or baby’s first foods to give incremental and calculated exposure to the top allergens like peanuts, egg, and milk. When used as directed, this can reduce the chance of allergies by up to 80%. This organic non-GMO product is recommended and overseen by many of the nation’s top pediatricians. Learn more about this evidence-based approach at readysetfood.com/wellnessmama