Chipotle is one of the few places we will sometimes eat out since it is relatively easy to find healthy food options there. Unfortunately, with seven of us it is also pricey to go out to eat (not to mention crazy with all the high chairs, booster seats, etc).
Now, I often make an imitation recipe at home since I can prepare most of the ingredients ahead of time and it is still a fast meal without much prep.
The other advantage to these burrito bowls is that everyone can assemble their own meal with their favorite toppings so everyone seems to enjoy it more (especially my daughter who can easily eat two avocados worth of homemade guacamole!). If you like Mexican food or Chipotle, try these!
I didn’t include the famous Chipotle-Lime rice recipe, though our family does eat white rice on occasion. If you want to add this to your recipe, I’d recommend this real food version of cilantro rice or even this Quinoa version. We don’t eat many beans, but you could also add those if you normally order them in a burrito bowl.
Chipotle Style Burrito Bowl
Yield 4 -6
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pre-cooked preferable) or 1 pre-cooked whole chicken (I make ahead on another night we are having chicken)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin and chili powders
- 12-15 ounces of lettuce, spinach or a mix (enough for your family)
- 1 tomato
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 lime
- Cheese, sour cream and more salsa to top
- If cooking the chicken fresh, sprinkle with the cumin and chili powder, squeeze the juice of half of the lime over it and pour 1/2 cup salsa over it. Bake in the oven, covered for 1 hour until done, or for 3-4 hours in the crock pot on high. If re-heating pre-cooked chicken, shred with your hands or a fork and place in a skillet. Sprinkle with the cumin/chili powder, pour salsa over and squeeze half of the juice of the lime over it. Saute over medium heat until cooked.
- While chicken is heating, make guacamole by mashing the flesh of two avocados with 1 cup of salsa and a teaspoon of lime juice. Assemble any other toppings you are serving. Serve chicken atop a bed of lettuce with any desired toppings. Enjoy! Ole!
What do you serve on busy nights? Have any quick go-to recipes? Share below!