Chipotle is one of the few places we will sometimes eat out since it is relatively easy to find healthy food options there. Unfortunately, with seven of us it is also pricey to go out to eat (not to mention crazy with all the high chairs, booster seats, etc).
Now, I often make an imitation recipe at home since I can prepare most of the ingredients ahead of time and it is still a fast meal without much prep.
The other advantage to these burrito bowls is that everyone can assemble their own meal with their favorite toppings so everyone seems to enjoy it more (especially my daughter who can easily eat two avocados worth of homemade guacamole!). If you like Mexican food or Chipotle, try these!
Healthy Burrito Bowl Recipe
I didn’t include the famous Chipotle-Lime rice recipe, though our family does eat white rice on occasion. If you want to add this to your recipe, I’d recommend this real food version of cilantro rice or even this quinoa version. We don’t eat many beans, but you could also add those if you normally order them in a burrito bowl.
Chipotle Style Burrito Bowl Recipe
- 4 raw or cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- one lime or 2 TBSP lime juice
- 1 ½ cup salsa divided
- 2 avocados or 2 cups guacamole
- 12 cups salad greens
- 1 to mato diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 cups cilantro lime rice
For raw chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or get out the Crock-Pot or Instant Pot.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet or in the Crock-Pot/Instant Pot.
- Squeeze the juice of half of the lime over it and pour ½ cup of salsa over it.
- Bake in the oven, covered for 1 hour or until done, or in the Crock-Pot/Instant Pot until done.
If reheating pre-cooked chicken:
- Shred the chicken with your hands or a fork and place in a skillet.
- Sprinkle with the cumin/chili powder, pour salsa over, and squeeze half of the juice of the lime over it.
- Saute over medium heat until heated.
Prepare the toppings:
- While chicken is heating, make guacamole (recipe here) or slice the avocados, wash and chop the salad greens, chop the tomato and onion, shred the cheese, get out the sour cream, heat up the beans, and make the cilantro lime rice if using.
- Serve the chicken atop a bed of lettuce with any desired toppings.
- Enjoy! Ole!
What do you serve on busy nights? Have any quick go-to recipes? Share below!