If you’ve ever taken activated charcoal before, it was probably in capsule form. These pills can help clear up an upset stomach because activated charcoal can flush out toxins while also preventing constipation.
I’ve made homemade gummies for vitamins and to help with sleep, so I figured… why not make them with activated charcoal? Activated charcoal is one of the first remedies I reach for when one of the kids has an upset stomach, but the toughest part is getting kids who can’t swallow a capsule to take it.
By putting activated charcoal in delicious gummy form, kids won’t even realize it’s a form of medicine!
How to Make Activated Charcoal Gummies (in 6 Easy Steps)
These gummies are super easy to make, with only three ingredients and about 10 minutes of hands-on time. Aside from the detoxifying charcoal, we’ll be using gut-healing gelatin to make the gummies gel, and apple juice to give flavor and bring everything together. If you prefer other types of fruit juice, like orange or pear, you can easily swap those in instead.
Start by combining the unsweetened apple juice and the gelatin powder in a large skillet. Allow the gelatin to hydrate in the juice for a few minutes before switching on the heat to medium-high and whisking well until the gelatin is fully dissolved. Now remove the skillet from the heat, and then mix in the activated charcoal powder until the charcoal has completely dissolved and there are no lumps remaining.
Next, pour the mixture into a silicone mold using either a teaspoon or a dropper. Freeze the gummies for at least 30 minutes, or until firm. You may need to freeze the liquid in a few batches if the mold you’re using is small.
When ready, pop the gummies out of the mold. Enjoy them immediately, or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for use when an upset stomach strikes.
Other Ways to Use Activated Charcoal
Activated Charcoal Gummies Recipe
- Pour the unsweetened apple juice into a skillet. Sprinkle the gelatin powder over and let it bloom for a few minutes before switching on the heat to medium-high. Whisk until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add the activated charcoal, stirring until the charcoal has fully dissolved and there are no clumps.
- Pour the liquid into the silicone mold and freeze for at least 30 minutes, until the gummies are firm and can be easily removed.
- Place the gummies in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Can substitute any fruit juice desired other than pineapple (which won't gel properly)
- Recommend dose: Up to 5 gummies when needed
Natural Remedies for Upset Stomach
If you liked these charcoal gummies but need something a little more powerful for adults, here are some natural remedies for an upset stomach to try:
- Cumin Coriander and Fennel Tea for Digestion
- Herbal Digestion Tincture Remedy
- Belly Boost Shot with Turmeric and Apple Cider Vinegar
Of course, no natural remedy can take the place of good health habits, so if an upset stomach becomes a repeated issue, try these lifestyle tips to promote optimal digestion and check with your doctor if you’re at all concerned.
Do you use activated charcoal? Curious to try this gummy recipe?