I’d never cooked much before finishing college and getting married. I got a Crock-Pot as a wedding gift and was told that slow cookers were the easiest (and mostly foolproof) way to make a great meal, so I started experimenting. I joke that this was one of my real food recipes before I went real food.
I tried many great recipes that I found on blogs, but this one I invented when trying to use up ingredients that I had on hand.
Bacon Apple Chicken
Fresh apples and smokey bacon intensify the flavors of barbecue sauce and provide a subtle sweetness to this slow cooker chicken recipe. It is such a simple recipe and it always gets rave reviews.
I often put this recipe in the slow cooker in the morning on busy days so dinner is ready to eat when we get home at night. If you have a slow cooker, I’d highly recommend this recipe. It is excellent cold or reheated, so I’ll often make a double batch to have for another meal. I’ve even shredded the chicken after cooling and used it in sandwiches or on salads the next day.
Bacon Apple Chicken Recipe
Yield 4 servings
Simple barbecue chicken with flavors of bacon and apple prepared in the slow cooker.
- Wrap each piece of chicken in 2 pieces of bacon and place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Mix the grated apple and barbecue sauce and pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until completely cooked. Can also cook on high for 2-3 hours.
Serve with sweet potatoes or homemade coleslaw.
Serving Size 1 breast
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 21.2 g
Saturated Fat 7.9 g
Cholesterol 116 mg
Sodium 1118 mg
Total Carbohydrates 13.8 g
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
Sugars 8.9 g
Protein 43.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
How do you cook chicken in the Crock-Pot? Share below!