I’d never cooked much before finishing college and getting married. I got a crockpot as a wedding gift and was told that slow-cookers were the easiest (and mostly foolproof) way to make a great meal, so I started experimenting. I joke that this was one of my real food recipes before I went real food.
I tried many great recipes that I found on blogs, but this one I invented when trying to use up ingredients that I had on hand.
Bacon Apple Chicken
Fresh apples and smokey bacon intensify the flavors of barbecue sauce and provide a subtle sweetness to this slow-cooker chicken recipe. It is such a simple recipe and it always gets rave reviews.
I often put this recipe in the slow cooker in the morning on busy days so dinner is ready to eat when we get home at night. If you have a slow cooker, I’d highly recommend this recipe. It is excellent cold or reheated, so I’ll often make a double batch to have for another meal. I’ve even shredded the chicken after cooling and used it in sandwiches or on salads the next day.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 cup homemade barbecue sauce or a healthy pre-made version (this is a good recipe)
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Wrap each piece of chicken in 2 pieces of bacon and place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Mix grated apple and barbecue sauce and pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until completely cooked. Can also cook on high for 2-3 hours.
- Serve with sweet potatoes or homemade cole slaw.
ow do you cook chicken in the crock pot? Share below!