To my children, pets truly are part of the family. It was their idea to make homemade dog treats for our dog, and they wanted to make homemade cat treats for our cats, Penelope and Tiger, too (“to be fair”).
Like the dog treats we made for Daisy, these homemade treats contain coconut oil and other healthy ingredients that cats love. They are simple to make and store really well in the fridge. Our cats don’t even seem to mind if we don’t heat them up before giving them one 🙂
Homemade Cat Treats: What You Need
There are really endless ways you could make this recipe and I’d love to hear how you adapt it for your pets in the comments. we used:
- Coconut oil which has lots of healthy fats (I got mine here)
- Coconut flour
- Cooked Sweet potatoes
- Gelatin powder (full of healthy amino acids that are great for their skin, fur and nails) I used this one in bulk because it was less expensive but any gelatin will work
- Tuna (or any canned fish- sardines are great too!)
- Egg- full of good fats and helps treats stick together
I baked these on a baking sheet with natural parchment paper to avoid sticking and stored them in a glass jar in the fridge.
Cat Treat Ingredients
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes, mashed
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup gelatin powder
- 1 can (drained) tuna or sardines
Cat Treat Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredient in a medium size bowl.
- Use a fork to mash everything together until evenly mixed and until all large pieces of fish and sweet potato are mashed up.
- Add a little extra coconut flour if needed to get a dough that is roughly the consistency of play dough.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and mash down with a fork to form little “cookies”
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Store in the refrigerator for several weeks or in the freezer for several months.
Ever made homemade treats for your pets? How did they turn out? How will you customize this recipe?