Cauliflower is not a vegetable my husband loves, in fact, he doesn’t care for it at all. He eats it (when I load it with butter), but it is certainly not on his favorite list … except when I make it like this. Everyone in my family ate this, including our one-year old, who also is not a big cauliflower eater.
The old saying about the way to a man’s heart being through his stomach … one word: bacon! This recipe was actually the result of a simultaneous pregnancy craving for cauliflower, bacon, and cheese, and it is GOOD! Loaded bacon cauliflower is a mixture of a loaded baked potato and macaroni and cheese.
Beyond tasting good, cauliflower is also super healthy. It is very high in vitamin C, and also contains a good amount of vitamin K, several B vitamins, and potassium. And it’s so versatile! Mash it to create pseudo “mashed potatoes”, roast it with a drizzle of olive oil and some spices, or cheese and bacon it up like in this recipe.
Loaded Bacon Cauliflower Recipe
Yield 4 -6
A healthier alternative to loaded baked potatoes made with cauliflower for extra nutrition!
- Cook the bacon on the stove in a large skillet until crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, slice or cut the cauliflower into bite-size pieces.
- Remove bacon from pan, leaving drippings.
- Add the cauliflower to the pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until cauliflower is tender.
- Add butter if desired and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Crumble bacon on top of cauliflower, and sprinkle cheese on top of that.
- Leave on heat an additional 1-2 minutes to melt cheese.
Optionally, you can put the (oven safe) pan under the broiler to melt the cheese!
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9.5 g
Saturated Fat 4.7 g
Cholesterol 27 mg
Sodium 517 mg
Total Carbohydrates 1.4 g
Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 6.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
What’s your favorite use for cauliflower? Do you use it to substitute for any foods? Share your tips below!