I’ve always been an animal person. I begged for years to get my first dog, Holly, when I was five. We named her Holly because she was born right before Christmas and she was the best Christmas present ever!
Holly passed away years ago, but now I get to watch my own children enjoy our Golden Pyrenees (a yellow lab/great Pyrenees mix). Daisy faithfully watches over the children when they play in the yard and lets the one-year-old sit on her and “pet” her.
One day, my older kids asked if we could make “cookies for Daisy” with ingredients she would like. I’d been mulling over the idea of homemade dog treats for a while, and that was my motivation to finally try some recipes.
Homemade Dog Treats with Coconut Oil
We already give Daisy (and our cats Penelope & Tiger) coconut oil daily but I wanted to figure out a way to incorporate it into this recipe.
I stuck to vet-approved ingredients for dogs: sweet potato, coconut oil/coconut, eggs, coconut flour, and gelatin (this is the one I give to our pets).
Really, any combination of those ingredients would work, but we found a particular ratio that Daisy seems to love. We also figured out a cat treat recipe for Penelope and Tiger and I’ll share that soon.
My favorite part of this recipe is that it is a convenient way to give Daisy her daily coconut oil and a fun treat for her.
Homemade Dog Treats (With Coconut Oil)
Homemade dog treats with sweet potatoes, coconut, coconut oil, eggs, bacon and gelatin.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients and mix until well incorporated. If needed, add a little extra coconut flour to get a dough that is slightly thinner than Play Dough.
- Form into 1-inch balls and flatten with hand.
- We made "paw print" shapes with our fingers to make them cute (totally optional).
- Bake for 20 minutes until slightly browned on the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for several weeks or freeze for several months.
We give our dog one of these per day.
Daisy seems to approve 🙂
Do you have any pets? What do you give them for treats?