Today, it is 3°F outside, which makes it undoubtedly soup weather at our house. Tomato soup was one of my favorite soups before switching to a real food diet. Now, I don’t think I could eat the canned stuff if I tried, but this homemade version is wonderful.
This recipe is so quick to make, and we’ve often added pieces of chopped leftover chicken for a really fast meal. This recipe is grain free and dairy free, but tomatoes are nightshades, so this recipe might not be the best for those struggling with autoimmune issues.
Simple Tomato Soup Recipe
Yield 4 +
Simple and fast tomato soup. Grain free and dairy optional.
- Place diced onion in a large pan with the butter or coconut oil.
- Saute over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and tomatoes and saute an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least 5 minutes. For richer flavors, you can simmer for up to 30 minutes.
- If desired, use an immersion blender to carefully blend in the pot until smooth.
- Garnish with chopped basil and serve.
Add leftover chopped chicken to make it a complete meal.
Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 27.9 g
Saturated Fat 20.5 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 896 mg
Total Carbohydrates 26.5 g
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
Sugars 15.1 g
Protein 8.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
What is your favorite kind of soup? Share below!