Most nights, I cook one of the easy one-pan meals in The Wellness Mama Cookbook (grab a copy here) because those are our family favorites and I know they are fast, easy, and delicious.
With over 200 recipes to choose from, we hardly ever get in the dinnertime rut of using the same meals over and over, and I’ve found that I’m experimenting less because we’ve locked in our favorites.
When the Kids Cook
Thanks to the Kids Cook Real Food course, my kids have become super helpful in the kitchen and are even interested in creating their own recipes. My older two kids created this recipe and perfected it by cooking it several times and adjusting the ingredients each time. The result was this savory and sweet honey garlic chicken that uses budget-friendly chicken thighs.
It has a slightly crispy outer coating and a great balance of savory and sweet. I recommend serving it with a simple salad or steamed veggies on the side for a quick meal option!
What the Kids Love
They get to make this recipe entirely on their own and it is delicious! If your kids aren’t helping in the kitchen, I’d definitely encourage letting them help and even letting them cook on their own. They have such a feeling of pride from making a meal on their own, and cooking is a useful skill that will serve them throughout life.
In our house, even the little kids learn to safely use knives from a young age and are actually helpful (not just “helpful”) from about age 3.
My Favorite Part
I love seeing the feeling of accomplishment the kids get from making a recipe all by themselves. As a bonus, I also get a night off from cooking once a week or so when they cook… no complaints here!
Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs Recipe
Yield 8 pieces
A simple chicken recipe with big flavor. It uses budget-friendly chicken thighs and comes together quickly for a fast meal on a busy day.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees°F.
- Place the chicken in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the cassava flour over it to coat evenly.
- Shake off the excess flour and place in an 8x8 glass baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, coconut aminos, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the honey mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Cover lightly and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the cover, spoon the sauce over the chicken, and bake uncovered for another 20 minutes.
Serve with steamed veggies and a side salad.
Serving Size 1 thigh
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 89 mg
Sodium 392 mg
Total Carbohydrates 14.4 g
Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
Sugars 8.7 g
Protein 19 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Do your kids like to help in the kitchen? What do they like to make?