Loaded Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
A filling and nutritious sweet potato based soup.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Optional Soup Toppings
- 8 strips bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup green onion (chopped)
- ½ cup pepitas or squash seeds (roasted)
Peel and chop the squash and sweet potatoes.
In a large pot, boil at least 2 quarts of water and add the chopped squash and sweet potatoes.
Cook until fork tender, then drain and let cool slightly.
Using a blender, hand blender, or food processor, blend half of the cooked squash and sweet potatoes with the stock, coconut milk, and spices until smooth.
Return it to the pot.
Stir in the other half of the cooked squash and sweet potatoes to the pot with the pureed half.
In a large skillet, brown the meat you are using if not already cooked and add to pot when cooked.
Thinly slice the onions and cook in the skillet with coconut oil or butter until soft and add to pot.
Heat pot on low heat until the soup is warmed.
Serve with optional toppings such as crumbled bacon, cheese, green onions, and roasted squash seeds, and a side salad.
- Don't throw out those squash seeds! Toss them with a little olive oil and spices and roast at 325°F until crunchy for a delicious and nutrient-dense snack or soup topping.
- You may want to try roasting the squash and sweet potato in the oven to make peeling easier and to give your soup a deeper flavor. Just skip the boiling step in the directions and proceed directly to pureeing.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 534mg | Potassium: 633mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 12098IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3mg