Healthy Pho Recipe for Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
Make pho at home with this easy recipe served with either zoodles or rice noodles. Make this delicious meal in the Instant Pot in less than an hour!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 1 TBSP coriander seeds
- 3 whole cloves
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger peeled, thickly sliced, and bruised
- 1 large yellow onion halved and thickly sliced
- 6 cups water
- 4 lb whole chicken
- 1 small apple peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP fish sauce
- 4 medium zucchini spiralized or 14 ounces rice noodles
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 green onions green parts only thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro coarsely chopped
If using noodles, place them in a bowl of warm water to soak.
Turn the Instant Pot on Sauté.
Add coriander and cloves and cook about 3 minutes or until fragrant.
Add sliced ginger and yellow onion and saute an additional 4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Add the water to the pot along with chicken, apple, ½ cup of the cilantro, salt, and fish sauce.
Secure the lid.
Select Manual and cook at high pressure for 15 minutes.
When finished, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then manually release any remaining pressure.
Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
Strain the broth and skim fat off the top.
Once chicken has cooled, remove from bone and shred.
Divide chicken between 4 bowls, or 6 for smaller servings or for kids.
Add zoodles or rice noodles evenly among bowls.
Fill each bowl with broth and top with sliced red onion, green onion, cilantro and any desired additional garnishes.
Slow Cooker Option:
- Sauté spices for 3 minutes in a skillet on the stove with a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Add ginger and yellow onion and sauté for an additional 4 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add 1 cup of water to the skillet to deglaze it, stir, and carefully pour the contents into the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 5 cups of water, chicken, apple, chopped cilantro, salt, and fish sauce to the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours for best results or 4 hours on high. Follow the remaining instructions listed above for serving.
Serving: 1/4 | Calories: 362kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.4g | Protein: 45.8g | Fat: 11.6g | Saturated Fat: 3.1g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 1090mg | Fiber: 5.2g | Sugar: 11.2g