Chai Tea Latte Recipe
This spicy sweet (and all-natural) chai tea concentrate is easy to make on the stovetop, in the slow cooker, or in the Instant Pot. Just add milk for a creamy latte!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 6 cups
- 6 cups water
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 10 whole cloves
- 8 tea bags or 1/2 cup loose black tea or herbal tea
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 TBSP maple syrup or honey optional
- milk of choice up to 6 cups or to taste
Pour the water in a large saucepan, Crock-Pot, or Instant Pot.
Use the flat side of a large knife to crack open the cardamom pods and slice the ginger into thin slices.
Add the cardamom pods and seeds, ginger slices, cinnamon sticks, peppercorns, and cloves to the water.
If using the stove, bring the water and spices to a boil then cover and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
If using a Crock-Pot, heat on high for 2 hours or low for up to 8 hours.
If using an Instant Pot, cook at high pressure for 5 minutes then allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before venting.
Add the tea bags, vanilla extract, and sweetener if using and let steep for 10 minutes.
Strain finished chai concentrate.
Enjoy hot or cold by mixing equal parts warm or cold chai with warmed or cold milk. Top with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream!
TIP: Put all loose spices and herbs in a reusable tea bag or cloth bag to make straining easier.
- This is a chai concentrate meant to be mixed with milk to make a chai latte. Feel free to adjust the spice and sweetness levels to fit your taste.
- Freeze the chai in cubes and blend with milk for a frappe-style chai latte!
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 85kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.3g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2.3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 53mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 8.5g