Dr. Ben Lynch is a naturopathic doctor and world expert on MTHFR genes and methylation problems. In this episode, we talk about the many ways that methylation problems can affect health, especially for women.
What is MTHFR?
The methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) gene produces the MTHFR enzyme, which is responsible for breaking down (methylating) folate in the body.
Up to 50% of Americans have an MTHFR gene defect of some type that impairs their ability to mthylate properly. These defects can cause problems with everything from nutrient absorption to gene expression.
The methylation of folate is also important for healthy homocysteine levels and hormone levels because one of the byproducts of methylation us used to break the amino acid homocysteine down to another essential amino acid, methionine. The body uses methionine to make proteins, utilize antioxidants, and to assist your liver in processing fats.
Methionine into SAM-e (s-adenosylmethionine) in the liver. SAM-e is important for reducing inflammation, neurotransmitter production, and cell repair.
In short, a methylation problem can lead to a build up of heavy metals and synthetic vitamins in the body. It can also prevent proper neurotransmitter production and lead to problems with mental health, cellular health, autoimmune disease, infertility, miscarriages and even cancer.
- SeekingHealth.com (my source for many supplements)
- Video and gift from Dr. Ben on MTHFR
- Article: MTHFRs and Toxicity
- Article: Benefits of Sauna and how to sauna safely with MTHFR
- Article: Optimizing Your Future Child-Prenatal Supplements
- Article: Nitrous Oxide and MTHFR
- Book: Drug Muggers by Suzy Cohen
- Educational Course: MTHFR and pregnancy
- Educational Course: Cancer Course
- Educational Course: Kids Course
- Educational Course: Nitrous Oxide Course
Supplements Dr. Ben Suggests:
- Optimal Prenatal Protein Powder
- Active B12 with L-5-MTHF Lozenge
- Histamine Block – for food derived histamine issues
- Optimal Liposomal Vitamin C
- Optimal Liposomal Glutathione – key – start LOW – drop doses
- Optimal Start – if sensitive to methyl donors
- Optimal Electrolyte – amazing for athletes – kids – getting them off of garbage Gatorade, etc – and tastes excellent.
Thanks as always for listening and for reading and for being on board with creating a future for our children that’s healthier and happier.
I would really appreciate it if you would take a second and subscribe to this podcast so that you’ll be notified of future episodes. If you’ve ever benefited from something I talked about on this podcast, I would be really appreciative if you would leave a rating or review, since that’s how others are able to find this podcast and so we can help spread the message.