This episode has been a long time coming, but I knew it was important to make sure we had reliable data available first! Now that some studies have come out, it’s time for a deep dive into COVID and who better to walk us through it than one of the researchers I highly, highly respect in the field of nutrition, Dr. Chris Masterjohn PhD.
Data is great, but it takes some experience to understand what it all really means. We go into topics like what the science says on the impact of vitamin D, if it’s possible to build long-term immunity to coronavirus, how herd immunity works, and whether to worry about a second wave.
There’s no one I respect more when it comes to doing thorough research, so it’s an honor to have Chris here to walk us through it.
Episode Highlights With Chris Masterjohn PhD
- What the current data is saying about how to support the body and immune system with COVID
- Understanding herd immunity (and how we might already be there)
- Whether vitamin D helps avoid viral infection (and why)
- The vitamin D status threshold associated with a lower severe infection rate
- A randomized controlled trial showed that vitamin D supplementation reduced the risk of ending up in the ICU by 98%!
- How to test for vitamin D levels and what form to take if you are low
- The threshold of at least 30ng/ml of vitamin D and why it is important
- A reason not to megadose vitamin C as a preventative measure (but why medical use of high dose vitamin C might be very helpful)
- How zinc inhibits key enzymes that the virus needs
- Other things you need to know about cytokine storms and immune support
- How whey protein might reduce viral risk
- The reason to decrease IL6 to increase the chances of a less severe case
- Whether elderberry causes cytokine storms (and why Chris thinks we don’t need to worry)
- The risk factors that might make a person more likely to have a severe case
- What the data says about long term immunity and why it isn’t as simple as just antibodies
- The case for lasting t-cell immunity and why this is important
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Chris Masterjohn Instagram | Website
- Article: Could Elderberry Cause a Cytokine Storm? by Chris Masterjohn
- 294: Using Targeted Nutrition to Alleviate Hormone Related Issues With Dr. Chris Masterjohn
- 256: Decoding What Your Body Really Needs With Chris Masterjohn PhD
- Vitamin D
- Zinc Supplement
- Zinc Acetate Lozenges
- Grass-fed Organic Whey Protein
- Chris Masterjohn Interview With Gabriella Gomez on Herd Immunity & COVID-19
More From Wellness Mama
- 322: A Common-Sense Approach to Coronavirus & COVID-19 with Pediatrician Dr. Elisa Song
- 383: Resilience, Mitochondrial Health, Peptides, and Smart Supplementation With World’s Leading Biochemist Shawn Wells
- 384: Building a Village, Creating Strong Relationships & Biohacking Tips With Michael Trainer
- 330: Science-Backed Practical Strategies for Immunity & Decreased Viral Threat With Dr. Ken Brown
- My Common-Sense Guide to Viruses and Pandemics (for Moms)
- Immune-Boosting Benefits of Elderberry (& How I Use It)
- How Zinc Deficiency Affects The Whole Body
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Joovv Red Light Therapy. Red light therapy, also called photobiomodulation, has been a part of my life for many years. I discovered this years ago when doing some research and specifically found the benefits for hair, skin, thyroid, energy levels, many other things as well. And the reason for this is that our bodies need light. We think about food as the fuel for our bodies, and it is, but light is also a very important type of fuel for our bodies and for ourselves. And many of us get too much of certain types of light, like blue artificial indoor spectrums of light, and not enough of other types of light, like outdoor light, all the spectrum that come from the sun, and including red light, which is why I love having an option in my house where I can make sure I’m getting enough red light daily. It’s done wonders for my wellness routine, and that’s why I’ve made it such a priority. I’ve noticed a difference in my energy levels and in my skin when I use it regularly. And I wanted to talk to you about Joovv today specifically because they have long been the leader in red light therapy. But they’ve also just now come out with a new generation of devices that have upgrades that are really exciting. Their devices are sleeker, lighter, and with all of the same power of their original devices. But they’ve intensified their coverage area so you can stand as much as three times further away and still get the recommended dosage. I find this lets me work out or do other activities still close enough to the light to get the benefits. They’ve also upgraded their setup, so it’s very quick and easy to build and can fit in almost any space, depending on your size requirements. A couple really cool features about these new devices. They have something called Recovery Plus Mode, which uses pulsing technology to give yourselves an extra boost after a tough workout or a stressful day. And I find that sleep is one of the most important aspects of health. And I have used red light therapy at night to help wind down for the day quite often. But their new devices have something called Ambient Mode, which is calmer lower intensity lights, especially beneficial at night, certainly more healthy than the bright blue light from many of our screens and in line with our natural circadian rhythms. For a limited time, Joovv is hooking up listeners of this podcast with an exclusive discount on a first order. And you can find out all the details by going to joovv.com/wellnessmama and using my code Wellnessmama on any qualifying order.
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that is based on the recipes I’ve been making at home in my kitchen for decades. Many “clean” products simply don’t work and this is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but contain ingredients that work better than their conventional alternatives and that nourish your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to finally share these products with you and wanted to tell you about our brand new dry shampoo! It can be used various ways. You can sprinkle it in clean hair to add volume and to extend time between washes, sprinkle it in hair that has not been washed in a day or two to absorb oil or sweat and you can work in to color treated hair to maintain color-treated hair by not having to wash as often. It contains oil-absorbing kaolin clay and volume-boosting tapioca which work together to refresh hair at the roots. Lavender oil and cactus flower help to balance scalp and strands’ natural pH. We even added hibiscus for healthy hair growth. You can check it out and try it at wellnesse.com and my tip is to grab a bundle to save or subscribe and save as well!