I must admit, I was skeptical when I first heard about “Beyond Bacon.” Certainly, we have many favorite recipes that involve pork at our house, but an entire cookbook devoted to pork?
Now that I’ve had the chance to read Beyond Bacon, I can absolutely see why a cookbook dedicated to only pork is such a great idea! It contains 100 recipes that make use of the entire pig!
Pork can be a healthy meat if purchased from humanely raised pastured sources. It can also be an economical meat to buy, especially if the whole hog is purchased. For some, this leads to less-common cuts getting freezer burn because they aren’t sure how to prepare them. Beyond Bacon shows you how to make use of every part of the pig without waste. From Paleo Parent’s site:
“Beyond Bacon pays homage to the humble hog by teaching you how to make more than a hundred recipes featuring cuts from the entire animal. While bacon might be the most popular part of the pig for those following the paleo diet, there is a plethora of other delicious and nutrient dense cuts to enjoy.
Pastured pork is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), the “good fats” our doctors want us to eat – not to mention high in Vitamin D, a deficiency for most Americans. Beyond Bacon breaks the myths behind this often eschewed meat and shows you how create delectable dishes that are grain-, legume-, dairy-, and refined sugar-free. Beyond Bacon allows you to improve your health and the environment by focusing on sustainable swine.
Don’t let the dried out pork of your youth scare you away! All the recipes in Beyond Bacon are elegant yet approachable, making it the ultimate cookbook for the foodie in you. You’ll find:
- Perfect Pork Chops, better than most restaurant steaks,
- Pho Soup with chitterling “noodles” and other healing and delicious soups and stews to stretch your dollar,
- the already-famous-among-recipe-testers Savory Bacon Jam fantastic with green apples or our Homestyle Biscuits
- sweet treats made luxuriously rich with lard, such as Grain-Free Pie Crust, Salted Mocha Biscotti, Fudge, and Maple Lard Scones,
- instructions on how to properly BBQ and smoke your meats as well as recipes to make your own sauces,
- instructions for curing your own bacon, pancetta and even home-made sausage better than store bought,
- details on how to properly fry foods, like Corn Dogs with Sweet Potato Crisps and Sweet & Sour Pork, and
- an extensive guide on how to make and cook with the nutrient dense essentials: pork stock and CLA-rich lard.”
Beyond Bacon is beautifully photographed and has some very clever recipes! If you’d like to get a preview, they’ve posted a few online and you can try Eggs Stacy and Asian Ribs. Inside the book are some more adventurous recipes like homemade bacon and sausage, sweetbreads and pancetta. There are also some favorites like grain-free corn dogs!
If you think bacon and sausage are the only/best types of pork, you definitely need to check out Beyond Bacon! It is available for pre-order now and will ship on July 2nd… you can lock in pre-order pricing if you order before it launches.
Note: I received an advanced review copy of Beyond Bacon but all opinions are my own. Links are affiliate links… should you decide to purchase anything through these links, you have my sincere thanks for supporting my blog!
Have you read Beyond Bacon? What’s your favorite pork recipe?