Homemade Pasta Sauce Recipe
Yield 4 cups
Authentic tomato marinara sauce from fresh tomatoes, basil, and garlic.
- Peel and seed the tomatoes and set aside.
- Chop the onion, mince the garlic, and grate half of the carrot.
- Pour the olive oil into a large stockpot over medium heat.
- When hot, add the diced onions to the olive oil and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and grated carrot and saute for 2-3 minutes longer or until onions are translucent and tender.
- Add the tomatoes, chopped basil leaves, oregano, thyme bay leaves, parsley, and sea salt.
- Simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours or until cooked down and starting to darken.
- Add carrot piece for the last 30 minutes to absorb acidity.
- Remove sprigs of herbs, bay leaves, and piece of carrot.
- Optional: Use an immersion blender to puree sauce until smooth (for a thicker sauce, skip this step).
- Use fresh or store in the refrigerator up to 1 week, or can it according to your canner's instructions for tomato products.
To peel fresh tomatoes (or peaches) cut a small "x" on the top and drop into boiling water for 10 seconds and then drop into an ice bath. The skin will easily peel off.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 13.7 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Sodium 130 mg
Total Carbohydrates 33.1 g
Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
Sugars 20.3 g
Protein 5.5 g
Recipe by Wellness Mama® at https://wellnessmama.com/8907/pasta-sauce/