How to Make Yogurt (Easy Homemade Recipe)
Yield 2 quarts
An easy method for making your own yogurt that only requires milk, starter yogurt, a thermometer, and a couple canning jars and lids!
- 1/2 gallon of milk - preferably raw
- canning jars and lids - 2 quart size & 1 pint size
- 4 TBSP pre-made yogurt
- Heat milk in a stainless steel pan on the stove over medium heat until it reaches 180°F.
- Pour heated milk into clean canning jars and cool, either by sitting on the counter or in a cool water bath until the temperature drops to 115°F.
- Add the pre-made yogurt from a previous batch of yogurt or from store bought yogurt.
- Lightly stir just enough to incorporate into the milk.
- Place the jars into the oven with the light on for 12-24 hours. The light should provide a consistent heat of about 110°F.
- Put jars into the refrigerator until the yogurt is cold and set.
- Once the yogurt is set you can pour off the liquid whey from the top or strain the yogurt using cheesecloth for a thicker consistency.
If you'd like to make a smaller batch just use a ratio of 2 TBSP starter for each quart of milk.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2.6 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 56 mg
Total Carbohydrates 5.7 g
Sugars 5.7 g
Protein 4.3 g
Recipe by Wellness Mama® at https://wellnessmama.com/59276/yogurt-recipe/