This summer has been a delicate blend of heat wave and monsoon. I’ve had to come up with some creative family activities to keep the children (and us grownups!) from going stir crazy.
Thankfully, while the summer heat and humidity has not been good for my desire to leave the comfort of air conditioning, it has been great for our cucumber harvest. I’ve been working on figuring out new ways to use our abundance of cucumbers. This peach cucumber salad is a result of that project.
Peach Cucumber Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
This recipe is a perfect mixture of textures and flavors. With soft and sweet peaches, crisp and cool cucumbers, and a sweet and tangy vinaigrette this is a perfect summer salad. We also have a lot of mint growing in our garden, so sometimes I swap in mint for the basil.
Sometimes I like to add toasted pecans and/or crumbled goat cheese to the top for added crunch or creaminess. Make sure you wait until serving to add them though. They get too soft if they’re left on top of the salad for too long.
This peach cucumber salad is delicious as soon as you make it, but I’ve found that letting in marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours intensifies the flavors and makes it even better!
If you have a cucumber abundance like we do (or can pick some up at a great price while they are in season), give this recipe a try!
More Ways to Use Cucumbers
My super-simple cucumber onion salad is my go-to cucumber recipe, but after having that several times in a week, I wanted to find some new options. Here are some others we tried:
- Cucumber Melon Mint Smoothie – cool, hydrating, and healthy
- Cucumber Lime Veggie Smoothie – so much green power in this delicious smoothie!
- Infused Water with Cucumber
- Cucumber spiral noodles with strawberries and feta
- Lots of delicious Tzatziki Sauce with Greek meatballs
- Dipped into Smoked Salmon Dip and Radish Cream Cheese Dip
Maybe I’ll try using some of the dill growing in the garden and make refrigerator pickles next. I know you’re supposed to use pickling cucumbers, but I think regular ones will hold up well enough if we plan to eat them quickly.
Peach Cucumber Salad with Basil Vinaigrette Recipe
For the Vinaigrette
- Combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette except the basil or mint and whisk to combine.
- Finely chop the fresh basil or mint and mix into the vinaigrette.
- Cut the peaches into bite-size chunks, discarding the pits.
- Cut the cucumbers in half and slice into ¼ inch slices.
- Place the peaches and cucumbers in a medium sized glass bowl.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the cut peaches and cucumbers and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours.
- Garnish with pecans and goat cheese before serving if desired.
What is your favorite cucumber recipe or usage?