This summer has been a delicate blend of heat wave and monsoon, necessitating some creative family activities to keep the children (and us grownups!) from going stir crazy.
Thankfully, while the summer heat has not been good for my desire to leave the comfort of air conditioning, it has been great for our cucumber harvest and I’ve been working on figuring out new ways to use our abundance of cucumbers.
My super-simple cucumber onion salad is my go-to cucumber recipe, but after we’d had that several times in a week, I wanted to find some new options.
Peach Cucumber Salad
This recipe is a perfect mixture of textures and flavors. With soft and sweet peaches, crisp and cool cucumbers, and a sweet and tangy vinaigrette with a hint of basil, this is a perfect summer salad.
It is delicious as soon as you make it, but I’ve found that letting in marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours intensifies the flavors and makes it even better!
If you have a cucumber abundance like we do (or can pick some up at a great price while they are in season), give this recipe a try!
Peach Cucumber Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
Yield 8 +
A simple and refreshing peach cucumber salad with basil vinaigrette is a wonderful mixture of flavors, textures and colors.
- 3 fresh peaches (peeled- optional)
- 2 medium sized cucumbers, halved and sliced
- 6 large fresh basil leaves (can also substitute fresh mint)- finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- juice of one fresh lemon or lime
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Optional: Toasted pecans and crumbled goat cheese for garnish
- Peel the peaches if desired. I don't mind the skin, but some people don't like the texture so peel if needed. Remove pit.
- Slice the peaches and cucumbers into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place in a medium sized glass bowl.
- Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, lemon or lime juice, honey or maple syrup, olive oil, salt and pepper (or shake in a small mason jar until mixed)
- Finely chop the fresh mint or basil and mix into the vinaigrette.
- Pour over the cut peaches and cucumbers and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours (optional, but this helps intensify flavors)
- Garnish with pecans and goat cheese if desired.
What is your favorite cucumber recipe or usage?