Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Yield 4 -6
Delicious baked sweet potatoes with a sausage and vegetable filling. These are a filling and nourishing meal that are easy to make and kid-approved.
- 1 lb ground sausage of choice
- 4 handfuls of raw spinach (about one bag or bunch)
- 2 onions
- 4-6 medium/large sweet potatoes
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, sage, and basil to taste
- Optional toppings- raw, sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
- Bake sweet potatoes for 45 minutes to an hour until soft (can be done ahead of time and re-heated)
- Brown sausage in a large skillet.
- When it is almost browned, dice onion and add.
- When onions have started to soften, add the spinach.
- Saute until all are cooked and spice to taste.
- When sweet potatoes are soft, remove and cut in half lengthwise.
- In a large baking dish or on a baking sheet, Flatten the sweet potato a little bit and add a big scoop of the stuffing mixture to the middle of the sweet potato, evenly dividing among them.
- Top with cheese (if using)
- Return to the oven for about 10 minutes to incorporate flavors and melt cheese.
- Top with sour cream (optional) and serve.
Recipe by Wellness Mama® at https://wellnessmama.com/5488/stuffed-sweet-potatoes/