Winter may be on its way out, but some mornings my family still craves a warm, nourishing breakfast. Since I found out I’m allergic to eggs, my no-oat oatmeal is out and we wanted another healthy and hearty breakfast option.
Of course, we don’t do oatmeal around here and I’m not about to give my kids Cream of Wheat, so I love serving up a big bowl of this delicious coconut chia porridge. It’s grain free and the figs, pistachios, and vanilla beans give it a real depth that everyone in my family appreciates.
The best part: You can even combine the seeds and coconut ahead of time in a jar with your own choice of spices and dried fruit for an easy, ready-to-go, hot “cereal” mix.
As always, I buy all my ingredients in advance here so I can save money and time — I hope you and your family enjoy this hearty breakfast as much as we do!
Coconut Chia Porridge Recipe
- Pour the almond milk into a small saucepan.
- Slice vanilla bean in half lengthwise, and scrape seeds into milk.
- Warm the milk over medium heat until it comes to a gentle boil.
- Add the flax, chia, hemp seeds, and coconut and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir until porridge thickens.
- Season with a small pinch of salt. Serve immediately with pistachios, figs, and honey drizzled over top.
What is your best hearty breakfast recipe?