As a mom, I’m all for recipes that simplify and save time. That’s why our dinner rotation includes simple one-pan dishes like beef and cabbage stir fry and Pakistani Kima and why I pre-make coconut oil pulling chews to do oil pulling every morning so that I don’t have to open multiple containers each day (ever tried to open a 5-gallon bucket of coconut oil? You’ll need Crossfit to prepare for it).
That’s why when my kids ask for things at night that I know help them sleep like tart cherry juice, gelatin in tea or honey and salt, I’m happy to give it to them, but I wanted a simplified option…
All My Sleep Remedies in One…
I figured out a way to combine some of my favorite recipes and their favorite healthy treats: Tart Cherry Sleep Gummies.
I store these in a glass container in the fridge for up to two weeks and give each child one each night. I made them in this silicon mold for single serving size, but they could also be made in a coconut oil greased glass pan and cut into squares.
I didn’t add the salt to the recipe, but you could. I just sprinkled the final product with a mixture of salt and coconut sugar before giving to them.
Tart Cherry Sleep Gummies
- In a small saucepan, slowly mix the gelatin powder into the juice.
- Add the honey.
- Turn on low heat and stir as it begins to warm.
- Stir for 2-3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and gelatin has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add Vitamin C if using.
- Pour into silicon molds or a glass baking dish that has been greased with coconut oil.
- Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to harden and remove from molds.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (they never last that long at our house.
Why It Works
- As this post mentioned, honey and salt together are great for balancing cortisol levels and blood sugar at night. Even alone, these two are great for improving sleep.
- That same post explains the beneficial substances in Tart Cherry juice (not the same as regular cherry juice) that make it good for improving sleep quality and length
- Gelatin is rich in amino acids proline and glycine that help relaxation and sleep.
Do you have any natural remedies or secrets to help your kids sleep? Share below!