This Carrot Cake was a special request recipe, as I needed to bring a dessert to a family event. It is sugar free and mostly fruit sweetened. This carrot cake uses a coconut flour base and a dozen eggs, so it is quite protein dense and fairly nutritious for a dessert.
My kids actually enjoy this for breakfast, and I don’t mind giving it to them occasionally since it has so much protein.
Gluten Free Carrot Cake Recipe (Protein Packed!)
Yield 8 -10
A healthy carrot cake made with coconut flour and a lot of eggs for extra protein. Filling and delicious!
- 1/2 cup raisins or dates
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree or applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp each of nutmeg, cloves and sea salt
- 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and baking powder
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 3/4 cup coconut oil or butter
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup honey (optional)
- extra coconut milk or pineapple juice to thin if needed
- For Icing:
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey or stevia to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the raisins/dates, coconut milk and warm water and blend until smooth. This will create a sweet liquid base for the batter.
- Add a dozen eggs and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Add pumpkin puree or applesauce and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl and add coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, sea salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix well until well incorporated.
- Add coconut oil and mix well.
- By hand, stir in grated carrot, shredded coconut and crushed pineapple and honey if using. (Can also wait and drizzle honey on top after baking if using)
- Add extra coconut milk or pineapple juice if needed to thin. It should be spreadable but not liquid and pourable.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter or coconut oil and spread batter in.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-90 minutes, until middle is set and no longer soft. Coconut flour takes a while to bake, so be patient. You might also need to reduce heat and cook longer, depending on your oven.
- When done baking, remove and let cool.
- Mix icing ingredients and spread over cake just before serving.
What’s your favorite cake? Have you made a healthy version yet?