Healthy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Yield 8 -10
A healthy real food take on the classic ... without the cream of mystery ingredients soup!
Healthy Cream of Mushroom Sauce
- ½ cup butter
- 8-10 mushrooms, finely diced
- ½ cup cream or coconut milk
- 4-5 egg yolks (you should have these left over if you are making the sweet potato casserole)
- coconut milk or water to thin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 of onion topping from above
- 5 cans of cut or french style green beans OR 2 lbs fresh, steamed to remove extra liquid OR 2-3 bags of frozen
For Onion Topping
- Thinly slice all the onions, separate, and put into a medium bowl.
- Add the eggs and the heavy cream and mix well until evenly incorporated.
- Add coconut flour and mix by hand until evenly coated.
- Put tallow in large skillet and turn on medium high heat.
- When hot, add the coated onions and evenly brown, turning occasionally.
- When browned, remove from heat and set aside.
For Mushroom Sauce
- In medium sauce pan, melt butter.
- Add the diced mushrooms and saute until starting to brown.
- Add cream or coconut milk.
- Whisk in egg yolks and spices and about 1/3 of the onion topping mixture and continue stirring until the yolks begin to cook and the mixture thickens.
- Add extra milk or water if needed to thin.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Drain green beans and pour into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour the cream mixture over and mix until incorporated.
- Top with the remaining onion mixture and heat in oven until topping starts to crisp (but not burn!) and green beans are heated.
You can make this ahead of time and just reheat in the oven before serving.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 21.8 g
Saturated Fat 13.8 g
Cholesterol 166 mg
Sodium 211 mg
Total Carbohydrates 11.9 g
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 5.4 g
Recipe by Wellness Mama® at https://wellnessmama.com/3373/green-bean-casserole/