Homemade Stevia Extract
- 1- Quart or pint glass jar with lid (both boiled to sterilize)
- fresh or dried stevia leaf
- enough vodka, rum or everclear to fill the jar (at least half of the total size of the jar)
- a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer
- small sauce pan
- Put the fresh or dried stevia leaf in the jar, filling it 2/3 full.
- Pour vodka/rum/everclear over the leaves to fill the jar and put the lid on tightly.
- Put in a place where you will see it and leave for 36 hours, shaking occasionally. (I put on the counter and shake every time I'm cooking) Leaving it for longer than this seems to make it bitter.
- Strain the liquid into the small sauce pan (it will be greenish-brown)
- Turn heat on low and bring to a simmer. Important: do not boil! It will ruin the taste!!!
- Simmer for about 1/2 an hour, stirring constantly and making sure not to boil. It will thicken. When it gets to your desired thickness, remove from heat.
- Store in small jar in the fridge for up to 3 months.
Recipe by Wellness Mama® at https://wellnessmama.com/3359/homemade-stevia-extract/