Homemade Stevia Extract Recipe
A sweet extract made from stevia leaves, useful for sweetening tea, coffee, and baked goods such as cheesecake.
- quart or pint glass jar with lid
- fresh or dried stevia leaf
- enough vodka, rum, or Everclear to fill the jar
- Sterilize the glass jar and lid in boiling water.
- Put enough fresh or dried stevia leaf in the jar to fill it 2/3 full.
- Pour alcohol of choice over the leaves to fill the jar and put the lid on tightly.
- Put in a place where you will see it and let it sit for 36 hours, shaking occasionally.
- Strain the liquid into a small saucepan.
- Turn the heat on low and bring to a simmer. Do not boil! It will ruin the taste!!!
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring constantly and making sure not to boil. It will thicken. When it gets to your desired thickness, remove from heat.
- Store in small jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Stevia can be grown outside in a garden or in a pot on a sunny window sill.
Recipe by Wellness Mama® at https://wellnessmama.com/3359/homemade-stevia-extract/