Probiotic Lemonade Recipe
Yield 8 +
A fizzy and tangy fermented lemonade that has a boost of probiotics.
- ¾ cup sugar or sucanat
- 2½ to 3 quarts filtered water
- 10 lemons or limes, juiced to make about 1 cup
- 1 cup whey (here's how to make it)
- In a gallon size glass jar, stir together sugar and just enough hot water to dissolve the sugar.
- Add lemon juice and fill the jar about ¾ full with filtered water.
- Make sure the liquid is at room temp and add the whey.
- Cover tightly and let sit on the counter for 2-3 days.
- After 2-3 days, keep in refrigerator and drink 4-6 ounces per day. The flavor will continue to develop.
- Since the sugar ferments out, it is rather tart. Add a couple drops of stevia if it is too tart for you!
You can add about 1 teaspoon of molasses to the sugar before dissolving to add extra minerals and a bit more sweetness.
Blending the final product with ice cubes will make a delicious slushie (or margarita if you're using limes!).
Recipe by Wellness Mama® at https://wellnessmama.com/2883/probiotic-lemonade/