Whey and Cream Cheese Recipe
Yield 4 +
How to make whey for fermenting vegetables and other foods and get probiotic cream cheese!
- One 32-ounce container of full fat organic PLAIN yogurt
- Cheesecloth or thin dish towel
- medium-size bowl
- string or rubber bands
- Pour the yogurt into cheesecloth or thin towel. You can pour the whole container, or just use half if you don't need much whey. Make sure the towel is thin, as it will absorb too much of the whey if it is a very absorbent towel.
- Pull the ends of the towel up and secure with string or a rubber band.
- Tie the towel with yogurt in it to a cabinet handle above the bowl.
- Leave it alone overnight to drip.
- In the morning, if the dripping has stopped, pour the liquid in the bowl (this is the whey... yay!) into a glass jar and store in the fridge for up to six months.
- The "yogurt" left in the towel is actually cream cheese now. Put in its own container and use as you would store bought cream cheese.
- Use the whey for homemade salsas, sauerkraut, fermented veggies or pickles and more. (all recipes to come soon.... just waiting on the garden to start producing!)
Recipe by Wellness Mama® at https://wellnessmama.com/2402/how-to-make-whey/