Lacto-fermented Sriracha Recipe
Yield 2 cups
A delicious spicy sriracha recipe without the refined sweeteners (and a sweetener-free option) and an added optional ferment that extends shelf life and improves the nutritional profile.
- Cut the tops off the peppers, and peel out the seeds and membranes.
- Finely dice the peppers and garlic.
- Put the peppers, garlic, salt, vinegar, fish sauce, and coconut aminos into a large food processor.
- Add the tomato paste and raw honey and puree.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until slightly reduced and thicker. Taste and add more vinegar, sweetener, or coconut aminos if needed.
- Transfer to a quart size mason jar and store in the refrigerator, using as needed.
- For fermented sriracha: Stir the whey into the jar with the sriracha sauce.
- Let the jar sit at room temperature for 3 days, and then move to the fridge.Fermenting will extend the shelf life by about a month and provide a deeper flavor.
For some flavor variations:
- Use pineapple juice instead of vinegar for a sweeter sauce and omit the sweetener
- Use any red pepper you'd like to achieve your preferred spiciness level. Even sweet red peppers can be used (omit sweetener completely) for a non-spicy version with great flavor
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Sodium 10 mg
Total Carbohydrates 0.1 g
Sugars 0.1 g
Recipe by Wellness Mama® at https://wellnessmama.com/120843/sriracha-recipe/