This pineapple upside down cake recipe was inspired by my oldest son who asked for a breakfast other than omelets (our regular breakfast). I wanted to create a breakfast recipe that would have the muffin/bread feel without the flour or added sugar. I also wanted it to be filling, so I used coconut flour. This recipe takes about half an hour to cook but is easy to make and can be made ahead. I wouldn’t recommend it for every day, but for a special treat without the grains and sugar, it’s a great option! I used my basic Coconut Flour Biscuit recipe as the base, though you could add some honey or maple syrup if you wanted a sweeter option. You could also half the recipe to make a smaller amount.
- ⅔ cup Coconut Flour
- ½ Butter or Coconut Oil, softened but not melted
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup (optional) - Could also add an overripe banana and extra juice (below) to thin.
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Juice from fresh/canned (no syrup) pineapple to thin (or could use coconut milk)
- 1 can of cored pineapple spices (in juice, organic) or 1 fresh pineapple
- Fresh cherries or healthy canned cherries (nor maraschino)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Mix the coconut flour, butter/coconut oil, eggs, honey/maple syrup, salt, and baking powder to form a thick dough. Thin with pineapple juice or coconut milk to get a spreadable (but not pourable) consistency. (add the banana here if you decide to go that route.)
- If using fresh pineapple, peel, core and cut into ½ inch slices. If using canned, remove from can and lay on the bottom of the baking dish you are using. Put cherries in the center of each pineapple.
- Spread the batter over the pineapple and cherries until smooth. Place in the oven for 25-40 minutes (will depend on oven and how big of a pan you used) until cooked through and no longer soft in the middle.
- When done, loosen edges and carefully flip over onto a plate or baking sheet.
- Serve and enjoy! If you are using fresh cherries, you can cook some down with a little water and honey/maple syrup to make a cherry sauce.
What is your favorite healthy dessert? Share below!