Last week we focused on Nutrition and getting diet dialed in. Hopefully you are eating a clean, real-food diet and are getting past any carb flu you could have had.
This week, we’ll be focusing on the second most important health factor (or the most important for some people): getting enough sleep! It seems like the one issue that all health/diet/wellness writers agree on… you need to get enough sleep to be healthy, but yet, many people don’t! I’m yet to hear anyone preaching the health benefits of skipping sleep.
We’ll also be focusing on stress and supplements later in the week, but for now, let’s catch some ZZZZs.
The Importance of Sleep:
It comes down to this: If you aren’t getting enough quality sleep, you can’t reach your maximum health potential. Period.
Not getting enough sleep, or not getting quality sleep can up your risk of everything from heart disease to cancer to diabetes. As if that weren’t good enough motivation, skipping sleep can also help you age more quickly, gain weight and have less mental focus.
Lack of sleep can singlehandedly ruin your health.
It is definitely easier said than done when it comes to getting enough sleep and reducing stress levels. Mark’s Daily Apple offers some suggestions, and here are some of my favorite suggestions.
If falling or staying asleep is difficult, some natural herbs can help.
This week, focus on making sleep a priority, and optimize your sleep with these tips.
For the next two weeks, try this:
- Sleep for at least 8.5 (preferably 9) hours a night.
- Minimize or eliminate blue light after dark (TV, Computer, etc)
- Sleep in complete darkness where you can’t even see your hand in front of your face (no clock light, nightlight, etc)
- Cover windows with blankets or blackout curtains
- Sleep with the temperature below 70 (68 is optimal) for optimal Melatonin production (Bonus: you save on your heating bill)
- Be in bed before 10 pm if at all possible
- Avoid caffeine after 2 pm
- Drink some chamomile tea or other relaxing drink to help fall asleep if you have trouble adjusting
Get enough sleep every night this week! Be in bed by ten, sleep in darkness, limit your caffeine, and see how you feel! Let me know that you are doing it below! The prize is a $50 Tropical Traditions Gift Certificate and a $50 Herbal Katie prize pack with some herbal teas to help you relax!
The contest is open for a week and you can enter again each day that you get a good night’s sleep the night before!
Enter below and leave a comment telling me what your biggest sleep obstacle is and how you are going to overcome it!