I thought I had posted this recipe, and just realized today that I hadn’t… whoops!
This is one of my favorite desserts and it is healthy enough to be breakfast. I know… it’s not made in a crock-pot (though I’ve got a great crock-pot cheesecake recipe coming soon!).
Anyway… this recipe is very easy and very good! If you are a key lime pie person, give it a try and let me know what you think!
- ¾ cup almonds or pecans, finely ground in blender
- 2-3 TBSP butter or coconut oil
- 1 TBSP almond butter for stickiness
- zest and juice of 6-8 fresh limes. [I didn't actually use key limes... they take forever and I don't think they taste any better, but you can if you want. Also, fresh limes really make the difference! I've tried this with organic lime juice and it just isn't the same!
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 teaspoons of coconut flour
- 1 cup of coconut milk. [If you make your own, just make sure it is smooth and well strained. If not, this brand doesn't have BPA and tastes great]
- Stevia (or honey if you eat it) to taste – I use about a teaspoon of my homemade stevia tincture
- Optional- Some heavy cream and a little vanilla or stevia to whip
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Powder almonds or pecans and mix with coconut oil and almond butter. Press this in to the bottom or your pie pan. This will not make a sweet crust. If you prefer a sweeter crust, you can use my Homemade Lara Bar Recipe as a crust and it works really well!
- Either way, put the crust in the oven for about 10 minutes until it starts to brown.
- While its browning, put the eggs in the blender and beat until smooth and frothy.
- Add the lime juice and zest, vanilla, coconut flour, coconut milk and sweetener to taste.
- Blend until smooth.
- When crust is browned, slowly pour the filling into the pan. If you don’t pour slowly, some of the crust may float up and mix with the filling. This is not a big deal, but messes with the texture.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the middle doesn’t wiggle when you shake the pan.
- When set, remove and let cool.
- This is the hardest step… put in the fridge and do not eat until it has cooled completely.
- While you are waiting, whip the cream and vanilla or stevia if you are using.
- Enjoy… even for breakfast!