Oh chicken soup… they call it food for the soul, and it certainly hits the spot when I’m under the weather. I also just love making this chicken soup (and other soups) during the winter to get some extra bone broth into my diet.
This gluten-free, dairy-free, chicken vegetable soup is a great winter meal and is excellent at helping fight illness due to all its herbal ingredients. It is also a low glycemic and high protein meal, so it fits into my WELLNESS plan and is great for anyone trying to lose weight.
- Whole chicken or a few chicken legs or a few chicken breasts
- 3-4 ribs of celery
- 3-4 large carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1 package frozen spinach or 1 bag fresh
- 1 head broccoli or 1 bag frozen
- 1 package sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- any other vegetables you have around and want to add
- 5-6 eggs, beaten in a bowl
- cayenne pepper
- sea salt
- garlic powder (optional)
- Other herbs to taste (rosemary, thyme,etc.)
- Boil chicken in large pot until cooked. (note: if using chicken breast instead of whole chicken, chicken broth can be used in place of water). Remove from water and chop into small pieces.
- Add chopped celery, carrots, onions, garlic cloves to boiling water. Add turmeric, curry, oregano, basil, cayenne, parsley, sea salt, pepper and garlic or herbs to the boiling water. I add 1-2 TBSP of each except cayenne, which I add about ½ tsp or to taste.
- Boil until vegetables are cooked. add spinach, mushrooms and broccoli. While stirring, add beaten eggs slowly so that they distribute (it will look similar to egg drop soup). Boil 2 minutes until eggs cooked, remove from heat and serve.
What is in your go-to chicken soup recipe?