Cauliflower is not one of my husband’s favorite ingredients for recipes, in fact, he doesn’t like it at all. He eats it (with enough butter) but it is certainly not on his favorite list… except when I make it like this.
The old saying about the way to a man’s heart being through his stomach… one word: bacon! This recipe was actually the result of a simultaneous pregnancy craving for cauliflower, bacon and cheese, and it is good.
Loaded cauliflower is a mixture of a loaded baked potato and an macaroni and cheese. Everyone in my family ate this, including our one-year old, who is also not a big cauliflower eater.
- 1 large head of cauliflower or 1-2 bags frozen cauliflower (defrosted)
- 5 pieces of bacon (preferably nitrite free)
- ½ cup (or more) favorite variety of cheese (I used cheddar)
- sea salt
- 1 TBSP butter (optional)
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy and remove bacon, leaving bacon fat in pan
- Add the cauliflower to the pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until cauliflower is tender.
- Add butter if desired and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Crumble bacon on top of cauliflower, and sprinkle cheese on top of that.
- Leave on heat an additional 1-2 minutes to melt cheese.
What’s your favorite use for cauliflower? Do you use it to substitute for any foods? Share your tips below!