Cauliflower is not one of my husband’s favorite vegetables, in fact, he doesn’t care for it at all. He eats it (when I load it with butter), but it is certainly not on his favorite list… except when I make it like this.
The old saying about the way to a man’s heart being through his stomach… one word: bacon! This recipe was actually the result of a simultaneous pregnancy craving for cauliflower, bacon, and cheese, and it is GOOD!.
Loaded bacon cauliflower is a mixture of a loaded baked potato and macaroni and cheese. Everyone in my family ate this, including our one-year old, who is also not a big cauliflower eater.
- 1 large head of cauliflower or 1-2 bags frozen cauliflower (defrosted)
- 5 pieces of bacon (preferably nitrite free)
- ½ cup (or more) favorite variety of cheese (I used cheddar)
- sea salt
- 1 TBSP butter (optional)
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy and remove bacon, leaving bacon fat in pan
- Add the cauliflower to the pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until cauliflower is tender.
- Add butter if desired and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Crumble bacon on top of cauliflower, and sprinkle cheese on top of that.
- Leave on heat an additional 1-2 minutes to melt cheese.
What’s your favorite use for cauliflower? Do you use it to substitute for any foods? Share your tips below!