The adjustment to eating real food can be a shock to the food bill, but this recipe is the exception. This is one of my go-to recipes because it is fast and inexpensive to make. My one year-old will even eat cabbage when I make it this way!
I love this recipe because it comes together quickly and easily and only gets one pan dirty! It is a healthy version of Hamburger Helper and it packs a delicious punch of nutrition.
There are also a lot of variations to this recipe:
- Add cumin, chili powder and salsa to make a Mexican version
- Add fermented soy sauce and ginger to make a Chinese Variation
- Add a dozen eggs after it is cooked and bake to make a casserole
- Brown beef in a large skillet or wok, adding spices to taste as you go.
- When beef is almost completely browned, add sliced onions and grated carrots.
- When onions/carrots are starting to soften, add the cabbage and spice well.
- Cook about 10 more minutes, stirring often until cabbage starts to soften.
- Can be topped with salsa or sour cream if desired.
What’s your fastest and easiest healthy recipe? I’d love to hear your ideas below!