- 1-2 pieces of cooked chicken, chopped into pieces
- 1 lb of sliced sausage of choice (spicy sausage works well)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, talks removed(optional)
- 2-3 bell peppers, color of choice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 bags frozen cauliflower (defrosted)
- 1 bag frozen okra (not breaded)
- Spices of choice (salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, parsley, basil, oregano, etc.)
- Hot sauce (optional)
1. Note: This recipe should not be made in a cast iron skillet, as the acid in the tomatoes takes on a strange flavor from cast iron.
2. In large skillet, cook sliced sausage until browned, remove from pan
3. Sauté chopped onions, garlic and peppers in skillet until soft, season to taste while cooking.
4. While onions, garlic and peppers are cooking, put cauliflower into food processor and pulse until it is in small pieces like rice. Can also chop with knife, though this takes longer.
5. When onion mix is done softening, add can of diced onions, okra and other spices to taste.
6. Add chicken, sausage, shrimp and cauliflower and simmer another 10-15 minutes until cauliflower is soft and shrimp is cooked. Alternatively, you can cook the cauliflower separately in some butter in another skillet and serve the gumbo over it.
7. Serve hot (also great cold or reheated for leftovers)